Monday 13 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Days Eighteen and Nineteen - Something Out of Nothing


We've had a couple of days now of using all the bitty bits out of the fridge.  All those bits of leftovers and oddments that I save rather than having the 'just use it all up' attitude that is so easy to develop when there's lots of food available.

It does me good to get back to basics, to get back to always saving something from one meal to use as the start of another.  Alan is always of the opinion that too much is enough and just enough is not enough ... and I'm the total opposite.

Yesterday I found three little rashers of bacon in a tub in the fridge, not enough for a sandwich, not enough for anything on their own really ... obviously just added to the pack to get the weight right for selling.  So I decided to thaw out a single sausage and use two of our remaining home-laid eggs from the fridge and turn them into something that would make a good elevenses for Alan after a half morning of physical outside work.


Using some of the ready rolled pastry from the fridge I quickly cut out four little circles and used my Pie/Yorkshire Pudding tin to make four shallow savoury tarts.

I added a splash of milk from the inch left in Alan's four pint carton in the fridge to lighten the eggs up a bit ...


... and divided the cooked bacon and sausage into four fillings for the tarts.


Putting the meat in first and then topping with the egg mixture meant that I could arrange it a bit so that each bite would get a good mix of flavours.



Half an hour later and there were four Breakfast Tartlets ... as Alan had now christened them.



 Two for yesterday with a cup of tea, and two left for today.

It's a good feeling making a good nourishing meal out of something and nothing.  It would have been so easy to add those extra little slices of bacon to a butty already full enough, or to have one more sausage with the bangers and mash, but this way with the addition of a couple of eggs and some pastry there was enough food for a tasty and filling little meal.


Sue xx


7 comments:

  1. They look nice, I bet Alan really enjoyed them, it is amazing what you can rustle up, it is such a crime to waste food isn't it, with a little imagination you can produce some nice frugal food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it satisfying to make something so tasty out of leftover bits and pieces. The tarts look lovely and I bet Alan was a happy bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey look lush. I'm loving getting back to basics too. Hubby says the meals are amazing, I think the ingredient commonly known as 'imagination' is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks tasty. I too am being much better at using up bits and pieces in the fridge. I had some water I'd boiled some chicken in for the dog. (in case you think thats very grand, I thawed two chicken breasts for our dinner but we really only need one and a half, so I cut off half and boil it for the dog!). I also had some past their best carrots, a sweet potato and an onion, so I cut them up, put in a stock cube and some corriander and it was a lovely soup! Normally I'd be tempted to throw the carrots in the compost bin! It feels like a meal for nothing doesn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. I would call them mini quiches and enjoy every bite.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The breakfast tartlets look great. I also love to get a meal out of next to nothing. We improvisers are really coming into our own right now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.