Wednesday 29 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 35 - Crumble Mix - mostly in photos ...


Finding that bag of flour in the Co-op the other day made me so happy.  

So happy in fact that I decided I would use some of my previously rationed half jar of plain flour and half jar of brown flour to make myself up a bath of Crumble Mix to keep in the freezer.


500g Plain White and Brown flours mixed together.


Half the weight in spread.


A bit less than half the weight in brown sugar.

I had more brown sugars than white sugar so this was my choice.


Rubbed the fat into the flour until it resembled breadcrumbs, then tipped in the sugar and stirred.


Added some oats to the portion of the crumble mix I want to use tonight to make a rhubarb crumble.


Filled one tub with Crumble Mix and labelled it ready to go into the freezer, didn't label the one I'm using tonight, because I'll remember ... won't I !!


Decided to use some of the remaining mix to make some 'scones'.  

I say scones loosely because obviously the mix was made with plain flour, as one of our girls had presented us with a surprise egg the other day I decided to add it along with a little bit of almond milk as a raising agent.  Adding an egg to this type of mix makes for lovely crumbly scones.


Which are gorgeous with butter but as soon as I tasted the lovely nuttiness of the brown flour I knew they would taste even better with some Rhubarb and Ginger Jam from the jam cupboard.

Yes ... that jam really is dated September 2015  🤣



And they did taste absolutely delicious!



Sue xx


10 comments:

  1. Jam doesn't go off - or, if it does, it is very obvious! They look scrummy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't, this rhubarb and ginger jam has matured beautifully :-)

      Delete
  2. Your baking looks lovely. I have been mixing SR with plain flour and also mixing bread flour with plain/wholemeal flour in the breadmaker, just to stretch it a bit. I found SR flour last week and bought a bag each for 2 neighbours. They were absolutely delighted! Often there is SR flour in the store rooms of shops just not out on the shelf so you have to ask for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't do as my Mum did and make some scones out of bread flour ... she valiantly ate a couple straight from the oven but once they were cold she found she had made some brilliant ice hockey pucks :-)

      Delete
  3. Scones look great, good idea for crumble mix. I could only get plain flour when I went out yesterday to get my prescription. So I'll be checking out recipes for plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're okay for baking with plain flour if you have some baking powder in your cupboard, I usually prefer to just have SR flour in as it even makes lovely pastry :-)

      Delete
  4. Lucky you getting some SR Flour, I am on my last bag. I have plenty of bread flour and my flours, coconut, rye, gram etc, but am also low on tapioca flour, keeping my eyes peeled for SR as I bake a lot for my gannets. Will have to order the tapioca flour on-line. Your scones and jam look lovely, I will have to find my gluten free recipee for scones. Helen. S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... I couldn't believe my luck. Right place, right time 😃

      Delete
  5. I've actually planned to make a cherry crumble this afternoon - I've got a large jar of cherries that has been in the pantry for over a year so want to use it up. I've never used cherries before but heh - it's fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any fruit with lots of crumble on top will be brilliant 😃

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.