Monday 27 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 33 - Keeping It Simple


Some days you just want to keep it simple don't you.

After just three wonderful weeks of Van Life I have now had five full weeks at home in Wales, this is now going into the sixth week.  Five weeks of providing two meals a day, each day and every day.   Trying my best to keep it different and as tasty as possible using up what we had in store alongside the bits of shopping we have picked up on our three outings to supermarkets.

 Thirty Five mostly different meals ... it's no wonder I'm starting to feel all cooked out!!

These dishes above show last nights meal, I kept it simple for me and used the last of the hummus on a couple of baked potatoes along with copious amounts of spread and a sprinkling of cheese, it really was all I fancied.  Alan's dish was just awaiting a steak he had in the oven, to go with his round of cranberry cheese and beetroot.  

We each tend have the things we enjoy, and as you can see Alan enjoys a few salted peanuts on his salad 😄

The fridge is now pretty depleted, and I feel we will have to go and get some shopping in the next day or so.  Our main indicator of us needing shopping is Alan's milk.  Luckily the skimmed milk he uses in his drinks and on his cereals always has long dates on and lasts really well even past the Use By date on the bottle, so we have managed to do just once a fortnight shopping trips.


Sue xx


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know but Alan doesn't like it after it's been frozen, he says it tastes different. He also doesn't like UHT milk except in real emergencies.

      Delete
  2. Fresh milk is the thing we tend to run out of first even though I buy the large 4 pint carton. Long life milk just isn't the same although we do use it rather than risk a supermarket shop. Yes, Sue, I feel 'all cooked out' too. It's no fun when I fancy cheese on toast to have to cook because someone else doesn't really like cheese :? Good luck with the shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to have an emergency trip to the Vets with Suky, so we picked up some milk and bread while we were out, and I also got the Co-op £5 freezer meal deal. So we will be able to go without a big supermarket shop for the rest of this week ... phew!!

      Delete
  3. I do freeze milk but o always remove some from the bottle first. It has to defrost for over 24 hours and be shaken regularly or it tastes watery. I was brought up on sterilised milk but couldn't drink it now. UHT skimmed has no taste unlike the semi skimmed.yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have got a bottle of skimmed UHT milk in the cupboard and I will make sure he uses it before the date is up on it. While we can we will shop when he needs milk. One four pint bottle lasts him two weeks, so as we have just picked him one up today during an emergency trip to the Vets, when we shop nearer weekend we will get another, then that will last him hopefully for almost a month.

      Delete
  4. I am certainly all cooked out today, our remaining potatoes were not just growing eyes but noses too so a load of mash has been made along with oven chips and tuna fish cakes, used up eggs making victoria sponge and fruit buns , the last thing I made was a load of mess but I don't want to waste food.Hope little Suky is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me to the list of folks tired of making meals. When truly fed up (pun intended), I warn my DH early in the day to plan on leftovers or to figure out his own meal.

    Awaiting a food delivery any minute now (in US--took two weeks+ to get a slot), but one of the things they've indicated will not arrive is the organic milk ordered. Luckily, we have a little extra on hand. A variety of other items aren't available either, but nothing crucial. For the first time in seven weeks toilet paper (6 pk) is available. DH has not found it in the grocery store all this time. Been using that substance with extreme miserliness. Thankfully picked up a 12 pk back in early February before the hoarding started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I froze some milk awhile back and like Allen I think it tastes a bit different. I don't know if I will do that again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.