Wednesday 22 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 28 - Pineapple Upside Down Cake


It was perhaps the end of an era yesterday.  

We had two eggs left in the fridge, the last ones laid by our girls a couple of weeks ago, there have been none since.  It would seem they are completely into a well earned retirement now, something I'm very happy about ... for their sakes.


I decided something special had to be done to make this ending of our egg producing years.  So I decided on a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, as I thought I had a can of pineapple rings in the cupboard.

I decided on the simplest of simple recipes, just matching the weight of the eggs to the other ingredients of flour, margarine and caster sugar.


As my eggs had weighed in at 111g (see the top photograph) ... a somehow very satisfying number ... it made it easy to keep adding the other ingredients to the bowl without zeroing it each time.

Once I had weighed out everything else the eggs were cracked into the bowl along with a dash of vanilla extract.


I went to get the Pineapple Rings out of the cupboard ... it turned out they were in fact pineapple chunks!!  Oh well it was time to get artfully creative with the chunks and a few glace cherries.


Looking at the tub that I tipped the leftover chunks into it's amazing I know any of what I have in stock  🤣🤣



After 25 or so minutes in the oven the cake came out like this, nice and pale just the way I like them.  Remember if you do the skewer test to check if your cake is cooked to put the skewer in at an angle otherwise you may stab a pineapple ring/chunk and get a false moist reading.



After leaving the cake to cool slightly in the tin for five or so minutes I carefully turned it over to reveal my pineapple and cherry artwork.

We ate this over two nights, the first night with ice-cream and the second with custard.


The end of an era ...and what a tasty way to celebrate it.


Sue xx


5 comments:

  1. Well earned retirement, your girls have served you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it must feel a bit sad - no more fresh laid eggs - but your girls have done you proud and now deserve a long and happy retirement.
    The cake looks so very delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one here who made pinapple upside down cake, last week, hubby said he couldn't remember the last time he had one. At one time it was one of his favourites. Like yours, ours were chunks and I didn't have any cherries left. But hubby enjoyed his with single cream. The rest of the pinapple was used in an other recipee. To-day I have baked Bara Brith and 2 carrot cakes. These will be cut up and put in the freezer for one hubby wants some. Used up the limp carrots and now I need self-raising flour. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny - I was thinking of making that as my next baking project - although like you I will have to chunks rather than rings. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls have done you proud over the years. The cake looks wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.