Friday 7 April 2023

The Eat for £3.50 a Week Challenge - The Why and the History

You might be wondering why I decided to do something that seems to be almost impossible, to be honest perhaps I am too!!  

But I am in a Facebook Group called 'Food - Surviving on 50p a Day' ... I think a few of my readers are on this  too ... so I thought that in this time of hugely increasing food bills, and with energy prices going through the roof causing so many people to really panic and worry about the simple job of feeding themselves it could be a useful challenge to generate some ideas for absolute rock bottom price eating, and to test out if eating for 50p a day is possible ... and could it even be more than just surviving?

The simple task of keeping body and soul together on a budget that seems barely enough to feed your goldfish can get to be just too much for most people, and sometimes seeing something written down that inspires you to make more out of what you already have can be a little glimmer of hope in an otherwise ever darkening struggle.

I am going to be completely open and upfront, these days this is a Challenge to me and not something that I have to do, but I HAVE been there in the past so I do not do this out of a sense of fun but rather as a way of hopefully helping.  Back in the day I was feeding a family of four, two of them growing boys and one an outdoor working husband on a budget that varied from week to week but that never topped £20 and sometimes sank as low as emptying out the penny jar*.  

We survived, perhaps in some ways more by luck than management, as like many I had to learn on the job.  You don't get taught household money management at school and years ago there was no internet with ideas to Google, no Facebook chums to help out with ideas or even encouragement, we were just young Mums keeping our children fed and clothed on tiny amounts of money and doing the very best we could.

What I do now when I decide to do a Challenge like this is use the money that I would normally spend on my own food shopping ... my average per week for just myself including a bottle of Aldi Pinot Grigio is around £25 ... to buy food for the local Foodbank trolley in the supermarket.  So it's a bit winner, winner, winner as I get to learn something and push myself in the kitchen, I hopefully get to pass on a few ideas that might help someone and the Foodbank gets some much needed extra supplies.

Anyway enough of the waffling, it's time to go get the food and begin the Challenge.


*How do you shop when using coppers from the penny jar?  I scrabbled together all the 1p, 2p and the odd 5p coins from our huge whisky bottle and went around the indoor market in Barrow in Furness which had a lot of fruit and vegetable stalls and asked if they minded some small change.  Four bananas on one, half a dozen potatoes on another, carrots on another ... you get the picture, with the money being counted out from a handful of coins pulled from my coat pocket.  A couple of dented cans of beans or peas for 10p each from the basket on the floor of the grocery stall and if I could, a small bag of penny sweets for each of my boys.  I came away with a carrier bag of food and a much, much lighter pocket with all that loose change gone ... and most importantly of all we survived another week.


Sue xx  🥫



21 comments:

  1. I love your challenges!! And sadly this is a timely one. Can't wait to see what you eat each day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really are living through tough times at the moment aren't we. Some of the pleas on the Facebook group from people who really have not been shown how to stretch foods make me sad and angry at the same time. Surely there is some way of people being taught real life skills somewhere ... without putting even more pressure on teachers I hasten to add.

      Delete
  2. Cheering you on Sue. I too have been there and it was so so hard. I was young and 'learnt on the job' too. I look back and, with the knowledge and experience I have now, I could do better if I was faced with it again. But I pray I never will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes we were chucked in at the deep end and had to find our own way didn't we. Oh if only I had known back then what I know now.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant to have a new challenge from you and I take my hat of to you. I reckon I manage on £3.50. Per day.

    I think it's great that someone who could afford to spend more goes much cheaper because s/he can afford to make mistakes when those who have very little find any mistake to be a major catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, £3.50 a day would seem like riches at the moment. :-)

      I remember all too well making mistakes back in the day and it feeling like the end of the world. Potato peeling soup springs to mind ... the time I forgot to wash the potato peelings and the soup tasted really gritty. :-(

      Delete
  4. Good luck.
    I will never forget a particularly unpleasant period when I looked at my purse, worked out how many days until I got paid, and had to decide between me or the cat . . .
    You will not be surprised that the cat got fed properly and I scrounged the biscuit tin at work and off friends until the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, poor you and lucky, lucky cat. xx

      Delete
  5. That's a massive challenge and I look forward to seeing how it goes and learning from you. Are you sharing it all in the group too - I'm a fairly silent admin there but will follow with huge interest. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might share some of the photos, but they tend not to like links to blogs etc so I doubt I'll be sharing that way.

      Delete
    2. No, please don't link to blogs. The rules on that are pretty strict (sorry).
      Sharing photos would be great though. xx

      Delete
  6. It must be so hard nowadays to manage on so little - I'm in that FB group and, like you, am fortunate enough not to need it, although we have in the distant past. My mum was left on her own with 4 of us kids and coped on next to no money, we always said that Mum could make a meal out of nothing, and I suspect that she often went without, but us kids were never hungry. Skills and ideas of how to make food stretch and fill hungry mouths should be taught in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of us on there who have lived through some tight times in the past, and hopefully this means that we can help. I really learnt the art of making it look like there was more food on the table than there actually was. And a plate of bread and marg in the middle of the table would always fill the holes that small meals might have left.

      Delete
  7. Your posts ript this morning made me shed a tear. I can remember waiting desperately for Tuesdays to collect the family allowance as it was called back in the 70s so that I could buy fresh fruit and veg for our daughter. She was a very amenable child who would readilt eat fish fingers for breakfast if that’s all there was in the freezer. Catriona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it was my job after school every Tuesday to go to the post office and collect my mum's family allowance. She and a friend would sign each other's books to say someone else (me) could collect it on her behalf. She didn't get home from work in time before it closed. I then went to the supermarket on the way home and got whatever was on my list for tea that night. I never felt poor as a child growing up in the 70s but looking back we definitely lived pay check to pay check. My dad got paid weekly on a Thursday, cash in an envelope. Everything was cash back then.

      Delete
    2. I remember being at the post office first thing in the morning after dropping my eldest off at school to pick up the Family Allowance, and the 'should I, shouldn't I' dilemma when it was a Bank Holiday Monday and I had the chance to get next weeks as well as this weeks.

      Delete
    3. You had a lot of responsibility Ali, no wonder you are good at managing and bargain hunting these days. Oh yes, cash was king back in the day.

      Delete
  8. Goodness this is a really tough one but I am sure your creativity will help you out. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try my hardest not to just live of baked potatoes. ;-)

      Delete
  9. With your ingenuity, Sue, you cannot fail to inspire people struggling to feed their families on little money. I remember well wondering what to feed our family of 4 for tea when I had very little money left. Jacket potatoes and baked beans often hit the spot and filled empty tummies. If we were lucky I baked a few fairy cakes in the oven at the same time for a treat.
    Well done you for taking this on again. You will be amazing. Good luck! 🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacket potatoes, beans, fish fingers and fairy cakes featured heavily on our menu plan too when the boys were small. You have a lot of faith in me ... thank you. xx

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.