Friday 3 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day Nine - Crumble / Scones


I was asked about the crumble topping for yesterdays Rhubarb Crumble, as I had taken these photos for a Facebook group I post in, I can show you.  

I used up the last my bag of plain flour, it weighed in at 246g, so I used half that amount of fat, in my case dairy-free spread, and the same half measurement of caster sugar, so 123g of each.  Strange figures but using it up is the name of the game at the moment.

I had treated myself to a bag of caster sugar when we were at the shops last time, I usually whizz up what I need from the granulated sugar in the pot by the kettle, but I had an inkling I might be doing quite a bit of baking in the next couple of weeks so a bag of caster sugar it was ... isn't it funny what we consider as treats!!


The fat was rubbed into the flour until it resembled breadcrumbs and then the sugar was poured in and stirred through.

 
Next I halved the mixture, half each into my two stainless steel bowls.

To the half destined to become crumble I added a cup of oats and some grated and chopped nuts from the nut jar on the shelf.  It adds a lovely bit of flavour, as well as volume to the crumble adding oats and nuts.

The little grater came with a Christmas gift set of coffee, a mug and marshmallows.  The coffee was dire, the mug broke within days and the marshmallows were made with gelatine so not eaten by me ... but the little grater has been a godsend and is still in use many years later.


And to the other half I added a splash of Almond milk and formed it into a dough which I then shaped gently into two scone shapes.



The scones were baked in a hot oven for 20 minutes and were a delicious treat after our lunch.

They are flatter and wider than usual because of course normal scones are made with less fat and self raising flour (or an added raising agent), which gives them a lift and a different texture.  BUT and yes it is a big BUT, the crazy days that we are all currently living through means making the best of what you have and adapting what you find to make edibles that might not look as they normally would but taste good in their own right.

And these tasted delicious with just a dab of spread and some homemade jam.


And of course the other half of the mix went on top of the rhubarb and apple mix, to give us the crumble that is keeping us in homemade treats at the moment.


Sue xx


7 comments:

  1. I have a diddy little grated that I seem to remember came in a Christmas cracker a long time ago. I use it for nutmeg and it's brilliant!
    Loving your photos - it all looks brilliant.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take enormous pleasure in making things from leftovers and use-ups, this week I made three huge pasties from the plain flour I found at the back of the cupboard,half each of an onion, potato and carrot plus a little sweetcorn and few ounces of cheese, they were so good , the other halves made a couple of portions of soup along with some chopped tomatoes from the fridge. We eat far too much in our home ( which is why I am more than a little round ) ,so dishing up less and making two meals out of one is also a bonus ! Giving the men two sausages instead of three with their meal means one each for them tonight with a fried egg and bubble and squeak from last nights mash and cabbage and I will be quite happy with beans on toast !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mentions scones, I have made 2 dozen this morning, 1 doz sweet scones and 1 doz sultana scones. I am going to freeze some into portions for hubby and son, so they will keep them going for a while. On Saturday I will probably make some more, but savory, cheese and chive. The reason so many scones are being made is I need to use up quite a bit of milk and the gannets don't like rice pudding etc. Also made fridge bottom soup and a loaf of bread for me. So I think I have been quite good this morning. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the use it up mode too. It's amazing what you can achieve with a little imagination. Love rhubarb crumble, I always add oats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, I add oats most of the time, I have never tried nuts I shall have to try next time.
    I have one of those cute little graters, mine came with some whole nutmeg I found on a clearance shelf once.
    The scones look good, I simple baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made scones today too; some rich scones and some fruit ones. I can't seem to buy flour or bread flour anywhere, so I'm mixing plain flour with self raising for baking and plain flour with bread flour for loaves. So far, it seems to be working out ok, can't notice the difference. The food bank was out of flour yesterday so I took a couple of bags of mine round to them. They couldn't believe that I had managed to find some! Trying to reduce shopping trips (husband is at high risk) means thinking of ways to eke things out just as we used to when totally broke. It makes me realise just how easy it was to reach for whatever we fancied and pop to the shops to replace. Now we are having to think carefully before eating whatever we want when we want. I did a major stock take of all cupboards and freezer today and wrote a list which should help. Stay safe and well everyone x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tomorrow I plan on making some scones. Just not sure what kind to make. Great lesson on using what we have.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.