Sunday 26 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 32 - Couscous


When I couldn't get hold of any pasta ... during that mad rush with everyone panic buying and stripping the shelves of every supermarket ... I did manage to get a nice big bag of  Couscous.

I'd forgotten how much I like it and how simple it is to cook.  So much quicker than rice or pasta and just as tasty and nutritious as a base for mopping up all those lovely juices you get in a curry or stew. 

 I don't follow the advice on the packet to put it into a pan bring it to the boil and simmer etc etc.  I simply pour the amount I need into a bowl, add any flavouring ... such as spices, stock powder or just salt and pepper ...  then pour over boiling water to about a centimetre or so above the level of the couscous.  Put a plate on top of the bowl to act as a lid and leave it sitting in a warm place for ten or so minutes.  Then I fluff it up with a fork and it's good to go.  This was always the way to cook couscous ... I don't know when things changed!!

Anyway I used up all the Cous Cous in my large jar and then topped it up yesterday with my new bag.  Although I don't think this jarful will last us as long now that I have rediscovered my love of this lovely nutty grain.


Sue xx



5 comments:

  1. Yum, we also love couscous, it soaks up flavours so well. I do the same as you, put it in a bowl and pour water over....cold water if it's for a salad, it's firmer and more sort of nutty with cold water. I like it with chickpeas, chopped dried apricots, walnuts, lemon zest and an olive oil, ginger, honey and lemon dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds delicious, like a meal in itself. I might give it a go just substituting maple syrup for the honey :-)

      Delete
  2. I haven't had couscous for ages. I think because hubby isn't a fan I don't make it that often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had couscous and I always think this is the day I need to give it a try. Perhaps this is the best time to try something new.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love couscous. I do two to one, water to couscous. A quarter cup is a good portion for me. The elephant couscous does need boiling though.
    Lovely stuff.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.