Wednesday 15 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 21 - Tinned Fruits


After posting about the last of the fresh fruit the other day I decided to check out the tinned fruit stash.  Although there wasn't a massive amount, there is more than enough to keep us in one of our five a day in fruit with a dollop of ice-cream or yogurt each day for either dessert or a snack for the next week or so.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Jackfruit though, possibly add it to a curry or something similar.  I've seen it used in lots of vegan recipes, and that's perhaps why I bought it at some time in the recent past, but I can't for the life of me remember what plans I had.


Similarly with this Banana Blossom.

Oh well time for a bit of lockdown cooking experimentation methinks!!


Sue xx







15 comments:

  1. Do let us know what you do with the jackfruit. I have a can too and am at a loss.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the recipe in the link that Marlene shared below ... it looks promising. I'll take photos and give some feed back :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, I love tinned fruit, especially peaches.
    My son makes a pulled jackfruit, like a pulled pork type of thing but vegan.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-pulled-jackfruit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I'm not keen on the texture of meat, and I have tried the Linda McCartney version of 'pulled pork' and wasn't that keen, I AM going to give this recipe a go. I don't have many of the ingredients but I do have things I can substitute.

      Thanks for the link, I've printed out the recipe for tomorrow :-)

      Delete
    2. Your welcome, hope it will be good.

      Delete
  3. Heard of Jackfruit (never tried it though, is it just savoury or can it be used in sweet things?) but never heard of banana blossom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can swing in either direction depending on how you season it.

      Banana Blossoms main use is as a fish replacement, but I don't have any Nori sheets to put on it to get the right'fishy' taste.

      Delete
  4. I tried jackfruit once, no I didn’t like it one bit, but don’t let me put you off, try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have high hopes to be honest, but I'll give it a whirl 😬

      Delete
  5. I believe if you follow a recipe similar to pulled pork for the Jackfruit as it shreds like pork apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, I'm just hoping that doesn't put me off 🥴

      Delete
  6. I think Jack Monroe used jackfruit in various recipes in Tin Can Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll have a look at that too, thanks 😃

      Delete
  7. I am really interested in what you will do with the banana one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.