Tuesday 21 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 27 - Red Sauce/Green Sauce


My two favourite pasta sauces, on the days when I want to actually cook a sauce rather than just smother pasta with a jar of ready made pesto, are Red Sauce and Green Sauce.

So really the same as the two main pestos I eat in colour, but certainly not in taste.

My Red Sauce is made from red onions, red peppers and red tomatoes with an occasional white onion thrown in for an added nuance of flavour ... and of course lots of lovely garlic.  The garlic gets roasted along with everything else but left to cook in it's skin to go all unctuous and tasty.  To the vegetables I add a good splash of olive oil, some black pepper and a sprinkle of mixed herbs and usually a large sprig of Rosemary from the old tin bath outside the back door.  Then the whole lot is simply slid into the oven uncovered for around 40 minutes.
 

Once the vegetables are soft the garlic is fished out and squeezed from it's skin, and then everything is tipped into my Nutribullet or blender.  I add a good splash of plant based milk, or cream if I have it, and everything is whizzed up to form the most gloriously coloured and tasty pasta sauce.


Tea for tonight.

All I do when I want to use it is pour it back into the original cooking dish, tip in a few handfuls of some penne pasta or spaghetti and let the pasta cook in the sauce.  Sometimes it's necessary to add some more water as the sauce thickens up in the fridge if it's been waiting a few hours, or even days to be used.  I usually add a green vegetable for a pop of colour, some broccoli or maybe just garden peas and then once it's all cooked we dish up with a sprinkle of cheese.  Alan likes Cheddar and I prefer grated Violife.



My Green Pasta, if you were wondering is actually Jamie Oliver's recipe for Green Spaghetti.


It's a really simple recipe using just one pan and a Nutribullet or blender.

I love simple and I love pasta so these nutricious, but simple recipes are right up my street.


Sue xx




10 comments:

  1. Wow but my mouth is watering! It is 2 AM and I'm having pandemic insomnia. I think I'll give your red sauce a go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple, just a bit of chopping, roasting and then blitzing. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering too. There's nothing so good as fresh veg sauces; they are wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I love bought jars of pesto, you really can't beat the freshness of something like this can you.

      Delete
  3. I will have to try this , I don't like sauce in a jar so this Ulf be a nice change .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it is really simple and you can add whatever you have to the basic recipe to make it your own.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm….I need to try this too. It looks delicious. Thanks for the tip Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go, use whatever vegetables you have as well, I think we all need some simple but healthy recipes these days.
      For me cooking seems to be good some days and a chore on others, so a simple recipe can make all the difference. And of course this keeps really well in the fridge for those days when perhaps you don't want to be cooking but do want something tasty and fresh.

      Delete
  5. That sauce looks amazing and very simple to make.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.