Tuesday 14 April 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day Twenty - Using What You Have


So I didn't have any flour, I tend not to use eggs in things that I eat and we don't have many left anyway ... and I really wanted something cake-y.

I decided on these, a recipe I picked up on a Happy Pear course I did last year.

Raspberry and Almond Gluten Free Muffins

I didn't have any raspberries

I didn't have any vanilla extract

  I did however have virtually else



It went like clockwork, the fresh raspberries were replaced with the same weight of frozen blueberries and blackberries, the vanilla was just missed out altogether and although I do slightly miss that glorious vanilla-y taste they are still very tasty.  And with ground almonds instead of flour and ground flaxseed instead of egg they are extremely healthy too.

It would be rude and decidedly unhealthy of me not to have one or two with my morning coffee now wouldn't it  😁

Oh, and the house smells luscious ... I hadn't realised how luscious until I stepped out with Mavis to go to the polytunnel, and then came back in.

You can't beat the smell of home baking to lift your spirits.



Sue xx




9 comments:

  1. I agree that home baking makes the house smell very inviting. I seem to be running out of so many things I need for baking and my 2 home shopping deliveries have so far failed to replace the missing items, despite the supermarket declaring that most things are back in stock :( I've run out of frozen fruit & almonds of any kind but I do have about half a small bottle of vanilla essence :) The muffins look very tasty, Sue, and it would certainly be rude not to try them...lol... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had run out of lots of things, so when Alan's milk became one of them we decided to go shopping yesterday. We are now stocked up to just normal levels on the fresh stuff, and have two bottles of milk. But the baking aisle in Tesco was decimated. I managed to get the vanilla essence I needed but there was not a single bag of flour, of any description, to be seen :-(

      I think we must have turned into a nation of bakers and bread makers ... hopefully it will continue.

      Yes, they are tasty ... and we are rationing them out to TWO a day each :-)

      Delete
  2. They look lovely. I can't recall the last time I had every single ingredient to a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think half the fun of baking and cooking is finding what you can substitute and still come out with an approximation of the original recipe :-)

      Delete
  3. A good example of how you don't need to follow a recipe, just a few changes with the ingredients and you still have a good result.
    I always keep a bag of the frozen blueberries in, I actually took some out last night to go with porridge this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's only a few of the homegrown Blueberries left in my little box of mixed fruit in the freezer now, I shall have to use them wisely.

      Delete
  4. Flapjacks are a no flour solution, also blitz oats to make an oat flour that is great for American style pancakes substituting a mashed banana for the egg. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been blitzing oats 🙂. I don't eat pancakes that often but when I do I usually make them with Gram flour and some vanilla extract, and then put sliced bananas and peanut butter on top 😄

      Delete
  5. They do look good. I made my own vanilla essence for the first time last Fall - one bottle using vodka and one bottle using rum (that is especially good in Christmas baking) - wish I could send you some.
    I have all purpose flour and about 2 cups of WW flour left - 2 packages of yeast but no bread flour - vanilla essence & some dried fruit left but no nuts. I'm going shopping tomorrow morning and will pick up anything available but I don't hold out a lot of hope. However, I do have buttermilk and yogurt and both make a nice loaf that can be sweet or savoury depending upon what I add to the basic recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.