Saturday 13 June 2020

Living on a Box - Day Two


Breakfast - Yogurt, grated Apple and partially whizzed up Almonds.
With a cup of black coffee.

I decided to alternate my banana and apple yoghurt breakfasts just for a bit of interest.

Straight after breakfast I set to with the chickpeas that I had left soaking overnight.


The 500g bag of dried chickpeas after soaking made up to exactly 1.2 kg

Following the instructions on the packet, I then put them in fresh water, boiled them for ten minutes and then simmered them for an hour in the bottom oven of the Aga.

*** *** *** *** ***

Hummus Recipe


450g cooked Chickpeas
10tbs Oil
2tbs Peanut Butter
Squirt of Garlic Puree and/or garlic granules (or 3 cloves)
3tsp Cumin
Salt and Pepper
Water

Add all the ingredients to a food processor and whizz together.

  Scrape the bowl down a couple of times and taste.  Adjust the seasonings and flavours to your own taste by adding more of anything, and add water to get this to your preferred consistency.

Whizz again for longer than you think if you like the texture of shop bought hummus, but by making it yourself you can make it more chunky if that is what you like.

*** *** *** *** ***

As I had so many chickpeas and two weeks of the Challenge ahead of me I then repeated this and made a second batch.  One lot of food processor washing up is more than enough for me 😁


So I ended up with three 200g tubs, two 300g tubs and this rather large portion for todays lunch 😄


The two 300g tubs and one of the 200g tubs went into the freezer for next week.  

I only found out recently that you can freeze both cooked chickpeas and hummus ... so we will see how this is when it's thawed out as and when it's needed next week.


The bowl was for my lunch and the other two 200g portions have gone into the fridge.  Homemade hummus keeps well in the fridge, but I tend to use it within a week.


I also have 290g of cooked chickpeas leftover, half of these have gone into the fridge and the other half are in the freezer.


So in total my 500g bag of dried chickpeas has worked out to be equivalent to buying five cans of  chickpeas and has given me:

1450g of hummus
and 
290g of cooked chickpeas.

Brilliant  😃


Lunch - Hummus with a slice of toast, cucumber slices and carrot sticks, using one carrot.

I know ... I ate far too much hummus, as obviously I was tasting it as I was making it and the bowl had to be wiped out with a finger, as did the food processor blade AND then there was over a tub full for my lunch.

My name is Sue I am a Hummus Addict  🤣🤣


Dinner - Homemade Coleslaw with 2 No-Chick Strips and leftover Baby Potatoes.

Gosh this was filling and very tasty.

As I was so full up yet again, I still haven't touched any of my little Lotus biscuits that were destined to be my supper.  All the more for another day then.


Sue xx
📦


15 comments:

  1. You clever girl, what an absolute bargain 😁. Morrisons hummus is 60p/100g according to their website this morning so you’ve had the best part of £8 worth of delicious yummy from a quid’s worth of dried pulses. I’ll be ~very~ interested to see how the texture survives freezing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does survive, there's a lot of meals tied up there 🥴

      Delete
    2. I know you’ll report back, thank you. I am already imagining some with a little Chipotle paste added, some with Red Pepper paste, some with tahini . . . you are not the only hummus junkie 😊

      Delete
  2. I bought a tin of hummus ( I know, stupid me) because I never had had someone other made hummus. Well, it was disgusting, so I divided in to small portions and froze to be added when I made my own hummus. It was fine when thawed, I mean it was just as disgusting as before 😁 but the texture etc were the same. So yes, I would say yours will keep fine in freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had tinned hummus, so I have no idea what it's like. If I'm being very lazy I buy it ready made from the chiller cabinet at the supermarket, but homemade is a whole other taste experience

      You did make me laugh saying yours was just as disgusting when thawed. 🤣🤣

      But hopefully because mine was lovely when it went in, it will be just as lovely when it comes out 😃

      We'll see!!

      Delete
    2. I have some tinned hummus in the pantry (one of those odd things I bought - just in case) - hope it's not as bad as Ulvmor says but we'll have to wait and see. I keep meaning to make my home made hummus - tahini is on my shopping list for tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. I've never even noticed tinned hummus in the shops .... I'll be on the look out for it now, but I won't buy any if it's that bad!!

      Delete
  3. I often freeze yellow Sticker humous and it's as good when it comes out as it went in. It's great to know how much the bag of chickpeas produced once reconstituted. I think I'll get a bag for my winter stores. They make a lovely curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking a couple of bags for my stash cupboard will be a good investment, I was amazed how much I got from one bag. It's good to know it should come out of the freezer as good as when it went in.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you could freeze humous, that will be great to do, as hubby often comes home with a few tubs of humous. Yesterday he came home with 2 orchids, I haven't had any before, will see how they do. Not sure if I will be successful? Thank you for letting me know what was in the meatless mince. :-) Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only know once we learn don't we, this is a new one on me too. I find each and every Challenge I do teaches me at least one new trick and one new recipe.

      I've always found the trick with orchids is to partially neglect them. They are happy in their own skins with a spritz of water every now and then and always being watered from the bottom of the pot not the top, oh and they like their roots showing in the open air. My Mum keeps repotting hers and they die a sad death every time :-(

      Delete
  5. I too have frozen humous and it's fine when thawed. Adding a fresh drop of olive oil and a wee bit of lemon juice really zests it up. Plus a sprinkling of paprika on the top gives it a nice bit of colour. I'm waiting for our beetroots to grow to make a roasted beetroot humous with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so relieved to have so many reports of being able to successfully freeze and thaw hummus. I don't know why I haven't been doing this for years, it must be the texture of it that made me think it wouldn't freeze. This is going to save me time and money in the future, if I can batch make it like this once a month, get all the work and washing up out of the way in one fell swoop and then just pull out a tub for the fridge for daily usage once a week. My idea of genius!!

      I just lob a vacuum packed beetroot into my food processor with my hummus to turn it pink and beetroot flavoured ... but homegrown would be even nicer :-)

      Delete
  6. Love hummous and since I now have some canned chick peas I just may have to try making some for myself. This week when I was shopping I saw dried chickpeas for the very first time. I will used the canned first and then perhaps try some dried. You have made me realize that dried are more frugal in the long run.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More frugal and more tasty. But I think tinned chickpeas would actually get as nice if they are cooked for about 10 minutes before using 🙂

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.