Monday 15 June 2020

Living on a Box - Day Four


Breakfast - Yoghurt, Banana, Almonds and Peanut Butter
with black coffee

It's a good job that it was the turn of the banana to be eaten, as it was getting just enough black speckles in the heat of the kitchen to possibly put me off eating it any other day.  A third of it went into the freezer ready to be added to a smoothie next week and two thirds went into the bowl for this morning along with everything else.

A lot of my money saving or limited income Challenges have had me eating porridge oats everyday for breakfast, so this Challenge with it's yoghurty breakfasts this week and cereal to look forward to next week has been a pleasant change.


Lunch - A Cheese and Onion Sandwich 
with cucumber slices on the side.

It was nice to have a bit of freshness and crunch from the cucumber slices, and with these to nibble on while I had a whizz around blogland and answered emails on my computer, it made this lunch surprisingly satisfying for it's size.

Then it was time to start making my dinner, which was to be Vegetable Stew.


Vegetable Stew

2 Carrots, washed and sliced
3 Potatoes, washed, peeled and chopped
1 and a bit onion, some chopped finely, some chopped chunky
1 Stock Pot
Salt and Pepper
Boiling water


First stop, save potato peelings and carrot top and tail, pop into bag in freezer ready to make emergency 'free soup' if necessary.

Then add finely chopped onion to the pan with a spot of oil.  Sauté for a few minutes before adding the carrot and then the potato and stock pot.  Pour over the boiling water to cover vegetables and bring to the boil.  Leave to simmer until all the vegetables are nice and soft, usually around 20-25 minutes. 


 Check for taste and add seasoning if necessary.



Once cooled slightly, whizz the leftovers to make soup.  You can make it as chunky or smooth as you like ... 


... I went for smooth.

I now have two large portions of Vegetable Soup for lunches.


Dinner - Vegetable Stew

I was going to have a slice of toast with this but it was so filling I didn't need any.


Sue xx
📦




12 comments:

  1. It looks so beautifully healthy (and I mean that positively).
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty too, those stock pots are a revelation 😃

      Delete
  2. I've taken to washing and drying the feelings. Then I add some oil, salt and pepper etc. Roast until crisp. Great as a snack or topping for soups and stews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good that you take such good care of your 'feelings', gosh I bet they're tasty ;-)

      Seriously, that is a good alternative to soup isn't it, perhaps I'll do a bit of half and half, a bit of tasty crunch with the soup would be lovely.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I really should check what I write!!

      Delete
    3. Haha, I just couldn't resist 😄🤣

      Delete
  3. Your soup looks so fresh and colourful. Funnily enough I made a tomato based soup yesterday. I hadn't had any for a while and enjoyed it so much. I served it with some savoury picklets, made with gram flour and some thin slices of strong cheddar. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely. Homemade soups are so easy and so delicious aren't they.

      Delete
  4. The veg stew looks lovely. I haven't tried my stockpots yet so I think veg soup or stew is on the cards for sometime this week here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stockpots are a revelation. I usually use vegan bouillion which is quite light flavoured but these have a lovely depth of flavour to them.

      Delete
  5. The stew looks wonderfully filling.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.