Wednesday 17 June 2020

Living on a Box - Day Six



Breakfast - Yoghurt, Apple, partially whizzed up Almonds and a dash of Peanut Butter.

This is my last yoghurty breakfast, and yes, the yoghurt had stayed nice and fresh since it was opened at the start of the Challenge.  This is the first time I have used the Alpro natural flavoured yoghurt, previously I have always bought the vanilla flavoured version, but I think this one is my new favourite.  

The taste is similar to a nice sweet Greek style yoghurt, just enough tang to be yoghurt but sweet enough to be able to be eaten on it's own or with none-sweet things, if you know what I mean.  I will definintely be buying this from now on.


Next it was time to make a variation of this Deliciously Ella recipe, using the ingredients that I had available.


I forgot to take a photograph of the assembled ingredients but this is the finished pan of :

Potato, Chickpea and Cous Cous Curry.

Ingredients:

350g Baby Potatoes
145g cooked Chickpeas
50g Cous Cous
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
Large Handful of Spinach
Handful of Frozen Peas
1tsp Turmeric
1tsp Garlic Granules
1tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 Vegan Stockpot
Seasoning 
Water

Basically I sautéed the chopped onion, added the spices and then added the potatoes and chickpeas a few minutes later.  Then boiling water was poured in with the vegan stockpot and everything was brought to the boil.

Once boiling it was transferred to the bottom oven of the Aga for an hours slow simmering.  After an hour the spinach was stirred through and the frozen peas added to wilt and warm through in the heat of the now cooked curry.  Then the pan was left to sit on the side, cooling gradually.

When it was time for it to be eaten it was reheated and checked for seasoning.  Salt and pepper were added.


Lunch - 2 Slices of Toast and Hummus

Oh this was lovely, nice and simple but lovely.  Eaten with a cup of coffee whilst sat at the computer loading photos on the Greenshifters website we are using as one way to sell our house.


Dinner -  Potato, Chickpea and Cous Cous Curry.
Served with 100g of Cous Cous


There was enough made for Alan to have a portion with rice for his evening meal and for a good sized tub full to be saved for a meal for me next week. 

 So now I don't need to worry about my missing sausages!!



Sue xx
📦



9 comments:

  1. Indeed you don't. It all sounds and looks both delicious and healthy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basis of this vegan food box is very healthy I think, if they missed out the sausages completely and instead added a tin of tomatoes and maybe a head of broccoli it would have been perfect.

      Delete
  2. It all looks wonderful, Sue. I had two tins of butter beans which I'm not very keen on whole, but they made a very nice hummus, with a good amount of olive oil, garlic and cumin. From now on I'll be using dried beans and pulses. I'll definitely be making your curry. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on butter beans either but I've found that added to a tin of tomatoes and an onion they make a very quick luxuriously smooth and tasty soup once everything is whizzed up together.

      Delete
    2. I will eat more or less anything so long as it's vegan, including butter beans but I'm not keen either! I don't like them on their own at all but don't mind them in things or made into hummus. I think butter beans on school dinners is what put me off.

      Delete
  3. The curry looks lovely. You are doing well, I think you just might have a few more meals out of this box than you thought you would.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to get to the end of the next week, but there won't be much left over ... if anything.

      Delete
  4. Another great menu and days meals. My mum was from Jhansi in India and used coriander in meals but I hate it with a passion. My food was removed before the addition. I was always the one who found the cardamom pod too! Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like fresh coriander at all, but I am okay with ground coriander when it's in a sauce or similar. Nope, I'm not keen on cardamom pods either, finding one in my rice is yuk, finding one in my mouth is double YUK!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.