Tuesday 16 June 2020

Living on a Box - Day Five


Thank goodness I have been writing out my menu planner in mostly pencil as it has morphed and been altered so many times already up to now.  

The latest changes were to erase all mention of the sausages that I disliked so much and to switch the other meals around to accommodate the missing two meals that they were to be used in.  I've found Challenges are so much simpler if there is a bit of wiggle room in the planning.


Today was the first day using the Apple and Cinnamon Crisp for breakfast so I weighed out the portion size I would have if I divided the 500g box into six meals.  I thought a smidge of overlapping with the yoghurt breakfasts would work well so I don't get too fed up with the granola as it is being referred to from now on.


Breakfast - Apple and Cinnamon Crisp with Almond Milk
 ... which we will just refer to as Granola from now on as that was what it was like.

I also weighed out the portion size of milk that I needed, to make sure my 1litre carton of Almond Milk would last me for all six breakfasts.  It will, with a little to spare 😃 


There's no recipe today as I am not making anything from scratch.  



Lunch - Vegetable Soup with a toasted crust, used as croutons.

The soup was made from the whizzed up planned leftovers from last nights Vegetable Stew and was absolutely delicious.   I'm so pleased that there's another tub of this soup in the fridge for my lunch for another day.


Dinner - Chilli Mince with Baby Potatoes and Peas.

The mince was taken from the freezer and allowed to defrost slowly overnight in the fridge, and if anything the flavour was even better the second time around, as is usually the way as the flavours have time to develop.  This meal was so filling that Alan ended up eating the last few spoonfuls of the mince and the dogs had a potato each.

A very successful days eating.



Sue xx
📦


12 comments:

  1. It's lasting out really well, isn't it, despite the sausage disaster!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really is, I'm thinking that I will be able to do the full 14 days, even without the sausages.

      Delete
  2. Flexibility is the key throughout life. If we adhere to rigidly to things it all becomes boring. You really are making the most of the box contents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. I intend to use as much of the contents as I can ... in tasty ways :-)

      Delete
  3. It all seems to going along splendidly despite the inedible sausage. We rarely ever throw anything away but there is no point in eating something that is unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first food item I have put into the bin for years. I did toy with the idea of cooking them for the chickens to eat, but to be honest I just couldn't be bothered 🤣🤣

      Delete
  4. Today, I ate a yogurt that 13 days past it's best by date. No problems, mixed it into two spoons of granola, and it was tasty. We joke at work that sour milk (aka yogurt) doesn't go off. The record is held by my coworker that ate a yogurt two months past it's best by date.

    Relax about the dates and walk on the wild side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know me even slightly you would know that Best Before dates don't worry me in the slightest, I'm not even sure where dates come into this post ... you have me baffled 🤣🤣

      Delete
    2. When you started this challenge you mentioned that you had five days to eat the yogurt.

      Delete
    3. Ah right ... NOW your comment makes sense. A lot has happened since then ;-)

      My Mum once ate a yogurt just 3 days past it's Use By date and was seriously ill for about a week after and needed the doctor to come out. So I used to be more careful with dairy yoghurts, but now I don't eat dairy it's not so much of a worry. It does say on the pot that it should be consumed within 5 days of opening. I managed it within 7 so that's not bad :-)

      Delete
  5. Wiggle room is a wonderful thing.

    Your meals look delicious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you need room to wiggle alright :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.