Friday 14 August 2020

Playing with Flatbreads


There's no recipe as such needed for Flatbreads when you're doing the Ration Challenge, it's just flour and water with a dash of oil if you fancy ... and maybe a pinch of spice.  But I thought I'd have a go at cooking them a couple of different ways to see if it made any difference, it did.  So here's what I found.

I used a 100g of my flour, which during Ration Week will be a quarter of my flour ration, so I needed to remind myself how many flatbreads this would make.


With a little oil and the water it weighed in at a 163g ball of dough.


I rolled it into four smaller balls of dough, losing 1g of my mix in the process ... believe me I looked for this missing gram on the worktop and on my hands, but it was gone 😦


I rolled them out using as little flour on the worktop and rolling pin as I could get away with.


Then I fried them in slightly different ways, the first one was in a lightly oiled pan, the second in the same pan with no more oil added and obviously by now the pan was much hotter.



The third one was in a little more oil with garlic powder added.


And the final one was cooked in the most oil of all, only a tablespoon, but it sizzled away nicely and absorbed virtually all the oil.


As one cooked I ate the previous one, I was supposed to be saving them for a group photo ... but they were tasty and soon gone!!

And then I made notes while it was fresh in my mind.

So the conclusion of my little and very tasty experiment is that 50g of flour would be enough to make two good sized flatbreads to have to accompany a meal or make a wrap.  The garlicky way of cooking delivers the most flavour if the rest of the meal is going to be quite bland or the flatbread is going to be a snack on its own ... and the way to make them the most satisfying is to use more oil in the pan.

Needless to say I didn't need any lunch the day I did this little try out!!

Thank you to everyone who has sponsored me up to now, it is very appreciated.  This mornings donation came courtesy of my jeans pocket, when I found £5 along with sundry poo bags when I was putting them into the washing basket.  I didn't know I had it and I think this cause needs it more than I do.



Sue xx





8 comments:

  1. It's very good of you to do all this testing to perfect recipes so we don't have to, Sue ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... yes now you can enjoy lovely simple flatbreads :-)

      Delete
  2. They look really easy to do Sue. I bet herby ones would be tasty too 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I was thinking that when I spied the jar of dried herbs near the cooker at the Van. No good of course for during the Challenge but I think perfecting these means I won't be buying any flatbread type things again, so I will be experimenting with all sorts of additions.

      Delete
  3. You are going to be a pro when the challenge starts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I hope so. The idea in my head is just to get myself as comfortable cooking with these minimal ingredients as the foods I usually cook with. So I can do it without having to concentrate too much, because one thing I definintely remember from last year is how quickly you lose concentration.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They were ... too tasty I didn't mean to eat all four one after the other!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.