Monday 3 August 2020

Having a Go at Lentil Pancakes


I decided I would have a try at the Lentil Flatbread recipe that I shared the other day via the YouTube link.  

I didn't want to use some of the Ration Challenge weeks limited supply of lentils if the finished result was going to be a flop, having the luxury of lots of time this year to practise things or work out an even better menu than last year is brilliant. 

So I weighed out 40g lentils ...


... after giving them a quick rinse I added 80mls/g water and left them to soak for about four hours.


Next I just tipped them into the small cup of my Nutribullet and whizzed them for a lot longer than you would think.  Three separate bursts of whizzing until there were no visible whole lentils or even large bits of lentils.

And then I sploshed the first bit into the lightly oiled frying pan.


The resulting flatbread/pancake even though very thin took a lot longer to cook in the already heated pan than I thought it would, and needed a bit of encouragement around the edges to not stick to the pan.  

With just a sprinkle of salt it was delicious. 


The second one was much bigger and fluffier as I was slightly heavy handed pouring it into the pan, it also was not as tasty and took ages to cook.


The third and final flatbread looked the part perfectly but tasted heavy and stodgy.

So I have learnt that yes, this simple little recipe works really well, but for ultimate tastiness the thinner pancake like flatbreads are the best.

I think I will be using perhaps 30g of my red lentils to replicate this during Challenge Week.

Thank you so much to everyone that has donated to my fundraising page up to now, every penny helps and some of you have been very generous with your pennies.



Thank you so much.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Mine took ages to cook too - patience is the name of the game here.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking it would be really quick, especially that first thin one, but I guess lentils are denser than flour so it's to be expected ... well that's what I told myself after five minutes!!

      Delete
  2. I always on the look out for alternatives to bread I'll have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Well worth having a go, I really enjoyed the first one. Anyone that likes thicker, puffier pancakes would like them a bit thicker though I guess.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure about the lentil pancakes....I know G wouldn't eat them as it's a struggle to get him to eat them even in soups and in stews. I suppose real hunger would sway it though. I'd certainly try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't tell they are made of lentils, even the colour isn't red. They just taste like more substantial pancakes, and are tasty with salt ... and very filling.

      Delete
  5. PS I notice that your scales are exactly the same as mine. Great minds think alike? Lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good for weighing out small amounts aren't they, and for zeroing between adding ingredients to the bowl when baking. I also use them to weigh out the dogs food, which is very necessary to keep Suky from putting weight back on.

      Delete
  6. PPS I've just made a small donation to your fundraising, Sue, just in case you didn't recognize the name ;) Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. xx

      I get an email for every new donation with the donors full name, but I am using just Christian names on here, or the amounts for any anonymous donations. My readers are very generous but some are also very shy. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I make these but I bake them in the oven on parchment paper and spread thinly works every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds good, I bet they would be drier ... perhaps a little like crackers?

      Delete
  8. I am glad that you figured out how to make them. I bet they will be a lovely change for this years challenge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will, and they are quite filling too, so I think 30g of the red lentils will be saved to make some 🙂

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Definitely, that's the beauty of having more time this year. I need to have a practice run with a few other things too. 😃

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.