Tuesday 12 May 2020

Crazy Days Challenge - Day 48 - Cooking the Books _ End of Challenge Round Up


So I cooked my way through one recipe from each of the books.


Chosen by:

Joy
Judith
Marlene
Sooze
Bumblebee
Heather
Maeve
Chrissie 
and Margie


Trying foods new to me,


and unexpected.


Most were delicious, as the scones from this book for instance.  Wow lemon drizzle scones, sticky but gorgeous, and well worth having to have a damp cloth nearby for sticky fingers.


I cooked from three of Jack's books, all with the results promised.


In fact the highlight recipe of the week was from Jack's second book 'A Year in 120 Recipes' and was the Autumn Pudding.  How can stale bread and frozen fruit taste so good.  This is definitely going to be a regular on my menu from now on.


Some recipes had lots of ingredients ...


... and some just had a couple.  But I managed to cobble together everything I needed from what I had in store.  I am still determined not to shop and to follow the Stay at Home rule.


I rounded off the Challenge with a recipe from this book yesterday and it has made me want to read it all over again.  What a pretty book to look at both the cover and the photographs inside and it's full of such tasty recipes, which no doubt I will be making over the course of the next few days.

So thank you for following along, thank you so much to those of you who took the time to write comments.  It's nice to know I wasn't completely alone in this.

See you soon with something completely different ... when I think of what it is.


Sue xx



10 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was such a success and I might copy your idea for my SW blog, using their recipe books. It's been so interesting to rad about, thank you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good way of pushing you out of your comfort zone. I had never cooked any of the recipes before, even though I have had the books for years 😃

      Delete
  2. I am not a vegetarian but I enjoyed following your recipes. It was a fun challenge. I am also finding different ways of using what we have in the cupboard and the freezer and finding a few new combinations that we will repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this lockdown and less shopping will get us all thinking about differently about using what we have and what we will buy in the future. It has with me for sure AND I've made a shock discovery.

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed seeing you do this challenge and a good way to try new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's why I like Challenges they get me thinking differently.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy reading recipe books ....sometimes just for the sake of reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do that all the time :-)

      There's usually a recipe book next to my bed, it's nice to be able to read them properly each night and plan out potential future meals just before I turn off the light, the meals haven't been materialising recently though and that's why I enjoyed the Challenge so much it's got me thinking about proper food again rather than lots of snacky type things.

      Delete
  5. This was a great challenge and gave me some ideas to try my hand at over the next while.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us have got time for challenges at the moment 🙂

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.