Monday 21 October 2019

For the Price of a Coffee - Day Four - The Meals


Breakfast - Porridge 

What a messy photo, not very blog worthy at all, but it does show my breakfast this morning and  proof as such that I am sticking to my Challenge.  I'm getting a bit fed up with porridge now, so my Challenge Within a Challenge tomorrow will definitely see me buying something completely different for my breakfast.


Dinner - A third of this Pasty, with a dollop of mixed up Dhal and Rice

I forgot to photograph my lunch, which was the third of the Mixed Veg and Dahl Pasty that I had left over from yesterday AND a small portion of mixed Dhal and Rice that was also left in the fridge.  It was a bit samey and very unphotogenic, so maybe you have been spared!!


Tea - Red Lentil Dhal and Baguette

It doesn't look much, but gosh this was tasty.  Lovely warm Dhal with freshly baked bread straight from the oven.  It was filling, satisfying and well, it was just perfect!



Food carried forward: 

In the fridge:
small portion lentil dhal
1/2 sheet Puff Pastry


1 carrot
5 onions
3/4 head of broccoli
1 butternut squash
4 slices of lemon and little pot of juice 

Other foods:
700g porridge oats
136g spaghetti
3 cloves garlic
2 potatoes
300 red lentils
900g brown rice
1 pack of stuffing mix
1 part baked baguette

None of these foods can be touched tomorrow!!

Cash carried forward = £2.72  


Tomorrow it is the Challenge Within a Challenge and my days food ... three complete meals ... will be bought with todays carried forward money of £2.72 plus tomorrows allowance of £2.75.  A total of £5.47 ... gosh I'll be running wild in the aisles  😁


Sue xx





12 comments:

  1. You are very disciplined! I know that I would just hate having to live like this - which I think is the point of the exercise and really does make me think.
    It demonstrates how those on a very limited income rely so much on carbs to fill them up (your refugee challenge also demonstrated this) - and it also shows why people in that situation indulge in a treat every now and again - even when it is a foolish thing to do financially. The blandness and lack of fruit & veg would depress me terribly. I've just looked at the crisper drawers in my fridge and I am very, very grateful for the colourful array in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have just joined in on the worst day, as I said yesterday today is all about using up some of the leftovers. There have been a lot of veggies, and as much fruit as I normally eat up to now. And there's also lots more in tomorrow's food which I have just picked up.

      Delete
  2. It might be a bit bland but its better for you than all of the ready made stuff that people do buy. I couldn't do without fruit.Mainly apples, oranges and bananas. But even one of those eaten instead of pudding is better. Lucky I don't like gunky cakes or even a sandwich that has a lot of filling. I do like a nice piece of plain cake though.I think its probably cos my mum made everything herself and its what I am used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been nothing bland about what I've been eating for sure. Everything, well except for the porridge, has been tasty and flavourful.

      I'm also not a big cake fan, give me a dish of hummus and some crackers over a slice of cake anyday 😃

      Delete
  3. What fun you will have, I know that if it was me I would be lie in bed debating with myself what to have, like a kiddie with birthday money to spend and no doubt changing my mind every five minutes ! Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, I woke up early this morning and I definitely had shopping on my mind 🤣🤣

      Delete
  4. It just shows you what you can live on if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your tenacity Sue:) You also have the right attitude if something doesn't go exactly according to plan you don't beat yourself up but carry on and then tomorrow is another day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your shopping tomorrow. I am excited to see what you come up with.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice going out with almost twice my usual budget 😄

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.