Monday 18 February 2019

Yellow Sticker Challenge - End of Challenge

All photos today courtesy of Google Images


So the Challenge is over.

Personally I thought it went really well and we both really enjoyed the foods that we managed to snap up on our travels.  I had decided not to go down the go out daily and buy things to eat that day or the next day route purely because we live so far from most of the shops that I visited.  And I really couldn't justify spending pounds and pounds on petrol to save pennies on yellow stickered food ... not good for my purse or  the environment

I will be doing a  Challenge where I do go out each and every day to buy my food for the day ahead  in a few weeks when I will be a bit closer to the shops and heading out daily for dog walks there.  So if that's what you like you have something to look forward to.


Anyway back to this Challenge.


I enjoyed doing it.

 I learnt that it pays to keep my eyes open for the yellow stickers in every section of every store or shop that I visit.  

I learnt to keep a slightly more open mind about trying new things and not just heading straight for the usual shelves in the usual shops.  

The one and only thing that got wasted was the mixed rice and quinoa thing that I bought from Marks and Spencer at the start of the Challenge ... and even that didn't actually go in the bin, the chickens got to enjoy it along with their corn one morning, so not totally wasted.

I liked that Alan totally embraced the rummaging through yellow sticker food fridges, picking out foods that he wanted to try and that had I been alone I might not necessarily have bought.

I like that our freezer now has a good stash of foods, mostly meats, that will last Alan a good couple of weeks after the end of the Challenge, continuing the money saving for quite a while.


And I love that when you go on to Google Images with the search-line 'Yellow Stickers' ... amongst   the results you get some of your own photos and a picture of a sticker of a yellow Croc  :-)


Final Figures

Spent in total   £94.99       Original Prices  £164.85      Saving a total of  £69.86


So it's not been the cheapest of Challenge weeks, but thinking about it I do have lots of meat in the freezer for future meals, we both have non-food items that will last and last and we have eaten very well all week.  So I will forgive myself for spending almost a hundred pounds over the course of seven days!!


And now I'm taking a couple of days off and then it's straight on to the next Challenge .....


🛒




19 comments:

  1. Like you, we don't live near any shops so shopping daily isn't an option for us....nor would I want to, frankly. It would cost me too much as, even if I go with a strict list, I almost always end up buying extras I see that are very good value. But it was an interesting experiment and you certainly saved a lot of money by buying only YS stuff and, as you say, you have lots left for the future. Looking forward to the next Challenge, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping so often DID start to wear a bit thin and, yes it could have got expensive if I'd been tempted to buy other things as well.

      Delete
  2. I live within reasonable walking distance of: Co-op, a massive Tesco, a massive Sainsburys, bit further to walk: Morrisons, Asda and Iceland. As I like to go for a walk every day I found myself shopping every day, hence the crammed fridges/freezers. I do love a bargain though! Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, if I lived within walking distance of ANY shops it might get expensive!!

      There's no harm in stocking up on bargains though as long as it's things you use, and they get used in rotation. It's also good to have a 'no spend' week every now and then to use up what you have ... and make room for future purchases 🙂

      Delete
  3. I think it has been a brilliant success and I've thoroughly enjoyed following your exploits. Now looking forward to the next one too. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed myself.

      The next Challenge will be posted in a couple of days, I'm just in the process of shopping for it ... again 😆

      Delete
  4. You've done a great job on the yellow stickers, and it's nice to try some new food items once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is isn't it, especially when they were a bit cheaper than usual 🙂

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you've both enjoyed the ys challenge and you've got things for weeks to come with the meat for Alan. I can whizz along the shelves with my eyes looks for the stickers, when I items are on the shelf. Later in the day they're often all gathered together in a set place. I think you will look for deals in the future and I'm looking forward to your next challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I turned into a bit of a demon yellow sticker spotter by the end of the week. I'll have to keep my eye in everytime I'm out even if I don't buy as much.

      Delete
  6. Well done Sue, you got some terrific bargains and a great variety of foods, especially for Alan. Looking forward to see what your next challenge will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was definitely more available for Alan over the course of the Challenge. New Challenge coming up soon 🙂

      Delete
  7. Like you we live away from any of the supermarkets, a 14 miles round trip. We never go just to do reduction shopping as we try to do lots of jobs at the same time, to maximise the petrol usage. The only time I pop in is when I drop hubby to work and then I have a choice of Morrisons, Tesco and Co-op within a very small triangle. Hubby like Alan doesn't mind looking for Y.S. Now looking forward to your next challenge. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a similar round trip for us to Tesco, but a 32 mile round trip to Asda 😕 But I do try and combine any trips with at least a doggy walk. They love coming out with me, unfortunately I can't do that in Summer as I wouldn't leave them in the car then.

      Delete
  8. Good going on the challenge and having a bit of a stock up for a few weeks does the pocketbook good.

    Looking forward to your next challenge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And thanks for reading along and commenting 🙂

      Delete
  9. You are doing very well with your challenges Sue and I am glad you are enjoying doing them. Keep up the good work. Sorry - off subject, I know - But I cannot access your 'Smaller Life' blog any more and I am very interested to hear about your plans for March. Please could you give me a tip on how to access - or do I have to be invited? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      A Smaller Life is just down while I tinker with it. It would be annoying and confusing if I left it up while I am messing about with it, so it was just easier to close it briefly.

      The only person able to see it at the moment is me, so you're not missing out on anything 🙂

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.