Sunday 18 April 2021

The £3 a Day Challenge - Day Six

 


Breakfast Shopping

Orange Marmalade - 27p
Crumpets - 25p for 6
Tin of Peach Slices - 31p

Total - 83p

Again I went to Aldi for my breakfast, and quite unintentionally it turned into an orange coloured extravaganza.


So much so that I decided to have a black coffee with my breakfast rather than the glass of orange juice I was going to have ๐Ÿงก


After a long doggy walk I walked over to Sainsbury's to pick up my lunch, Alan took the dogs home with him clutching a locally bought bacon bun for himself and a couple of sausages as a weekend treat for Suky and Mavis ... for some reason they followed him willingly barely noticing me slipping away  ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•

Lunchtime Shopping

Tortilla Chips - 45p
Carrot - 6p
Iceberg Lettuce - 43p

Total = 94p


Lunch

   A pitta bread stuffed with coleslaw wrapped in lettuce, which is a good tip for not getting the filling everywhere when eating a salad sandwich of any description.  I had to eat a few more of the lettuce leaves on the side and start cooking my 'free soup' with the outer leaves as this was the only way the lettuce was going to fit into the fridge!!

This was a lovely fresh tasting meal.  A really good discovery this week has been these pitta breads,  bought on Monday for just 35p for 6 they have stayed nice and fresh all week, with this the last of the pack tasting just as fresh as the very first one I had. Also well worth mentioning are these tortilla chips, at just 45p a bag they are really tasty and would be brilliant with a dip ... or just on their own with a nice cold cider ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Free Soup

All the trimmings and peelings from this week's meals that have been in a bag in the freezer were simmered along with the outer leaves of todays lettuce and a couple of teaspoons of my stock powder, and after half an hour were whizzed up in the blender and then strained through a sieve. 

 This has given me over a pint of free soup, possibly for lunch tomorrow if I buy something to go with it.


Teatime Shopping

Garlic Bread - 32p
Spaghetti - 39p

Total - 71p

I could have made a garlic bread, I could have made some more pasta, but it was Saturday night and an easy option just cried out to be had.

Teatime

And it was lovely, thirteen minutes from start to finish and my meal was in my dish.


Cash Carried Forward

57p

Food Carried Forward

oats

flour

2 cloves of garlic

1 banana

1/2 onion

1 carrot

3/4 cucumber

1/2 a carton  orange juice

4 crumpets

most of a jar of orange marmalade

3/4 bag of tortilla chips

1/3 tub of coleslaw

400g spaghetti

iceberg lettuce

a tin of peaches

two portions of 'free' soup

small portion of pasta sauce


It's the final day tomorrow ... just how did this week pass so quickly?


Sue xx


15 comments:

  1. Those are just the sort of meals I enjoy, Sue, simple and colourful too. You're right... this week has flown by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was very colourful ... and definintely a lot of orange :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree that that the week seems to have flown by. You are doing this challenge so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got me thinking a lot about budgeting this week has this one, and that has been refreshing.

      Delete
  3. I do love that you have bought such a variety of things. I agree Pittas and wraps are so versatile. I use them for pizza based, sandwiches and toasted sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be using them a lot more from now on :-)

      Delete
  4. The tortilla chips go well with Chili. I often put some in a tupperware and take them to work with me when I have left over Chili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are definitely a tasty addition to a chilli or a curry usually in my case as I'm not too keen on chilli ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  5. Wow Sue I'm so impressed with the meals you have created with such a small amount, absolutely brilliant, they all look so good. Can't believe how quickly this challenge has gone! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have eaten very well this week, it's been very good ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

      Delete
  6. Amazing. It just goes to show that with a bit of inventive creativity, one can eat well for very little.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt like quite a lot of money to me at first, but breaking it down into the single pounds definintely made the Challenge harder and made me think a lot more. I'm currently working on what I would buy if I was to spend the whole £21 in one go.

      Delete
  7. I couldn't eat all those "beige" meals and feel healthy. Garlic bread and spaghetti? All those carbs and I'd be asleep not much later! Pastie and chips? Exactly the same. A definite lack of fruit and veg over your 7 days, if that was me I'd be feeling very stodged and unhealthy by now.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lettuce, carrot, vegetable soup, coleslaw (cabbage, onion, carrot),bananas, apples, green smoothies, spinach, lemon, tomatoes, mixed fruit salad, cucumber, orange juice, celery, onion, chickpeas ... you're seeing 'beige' because you want to see beige, take off your blinkers!! It's a one week Challenge!! Could you do better doing it as the Challenge was done with £1 for each meal ... if so please do and send me a link, I look forward to reading all about it.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.