Thursday 13 April 2023

The Eat for £3.50 for a Week Challenge - Days Six and Seven

 


I bet you were expecting to see toast and marmalade!!

But I decided on a change ... spaghetti rings on toast, and very nice it was too.

Now spaghetti rings would not be my first choice when shopping for something to go on toast, baked beans or tomatoes are a much healthier and sometimes tastier topping.  But having these for the first time in years has been quite enjoyable, and I would never turn my nose up them if my budget didn't run to a tin of beans in the future.

It's been a fun blast from the distant past, and they taste just as good as the Heinz Hoops that I remember snaffling off my boys plates.

Lunch was special.  

As I had quite a few carrots left I decided to choose the two biggest, top and tail them, cut them in half and then slice them down the middle, and then roast them with a big fat slice of onion.  They were all tossed in herby, garlicky oil and roasted in the oven, it was a real flavour treat to have them on the last of my mashed potatoes for lunch.  They were surprisingly filling too.

So much so that when teatime came around I just had a slice of toast and marmalade.  Ooops I have just noticed that the cut is remarkably like that on the last post ... but the marmalade is twice as thick.  😀

Maybe I wasn't quite as satisfied as I thought because later watching my film I succumbed to my Easter egg and scoffed the lot.  A near end of Challenge cheat that I am not embarrassed at all to confess to.


Day seven and the final day called for a special breakfast ... a peach toasty.


I drizzled the bread with oil and warmed up my sandwich maker, then I covered one slice of bread with peach slices before topping with the other and cooking.  It was very tasty, there's something completely different about hot peaches, I must remember to make myself another peach crumble when I go back to eating normally again.


For lunch I had the final jacket potato with some more of my carrot and onion 'coleslaw' and a drizzle of mayonnaise.  Tasty, but nowhere near as tasty as yesterday's lunch.


My final meal was a large bowl of soup made with the final three carrots, the last of my onion and some stock and curry powder.  I ate it with two slices of toast for dunking as this soup had turned out much thinner.

And then ...


... for supper I had an elicit Hot Cross Bun, well it was Easter after all.  

And that's it the seven days of eating on a budget of just £3.50.  If you want to see a round up of my thoughts and a look at the list of meals I will be back on here tomorrow for a final round up of the Challenge.


Sue xx




20 comments:

  1. Well done, so much variety for so little food! And thank you, it's been interesting and has given me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed racking my brains to try and make the meals more interesting for myself, although the toast and marmalade was hard to have differently. ;-)

      Thanks for following along. xx

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of how inventive you have been, and would never have thought of a peach toasty.

    Looking forward to reading your summary and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what made me think of it, but I'm glad I did it was very tasty. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You've been so creative with so little food. Looking forward to your round up of the week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have a week of 'playing with my food' again. xx

      Delete
  4. Well, that was very impressive so inventive too. I have just done the shopping for my son ,he has a ready meal for dinner usually ( the carers don't seem to be able to prepare food, they only have 15 minutes at his mealtime call but that is still enough time to sometimes prepare something fresh ) most of the more decent ready meals cost about £3.50 and you ate for a week, three meals a day for that ----amazing , even though it might not have been perfect nutritionally you had a full tummy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were looking through one of my Mum's 'food catalogues' for the foods she can order online to go in her freezer and Alan was shocked to see that some of them were £6 for a single portion main meal. I guess that also includes them being delivered to her door en masse when she wants them, but still that is shocking. My brother usually buys her the M&S mini meals instead, at least she is getting a little bit of tasty food every day and they still come in at less than the others.

      I wouldn't call it a 'full' tummy ... but it was better than it being empty. ;-)

      Delete
  5. The carrots and onion meal - unusual but looks tasty :)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the absolute highlight of the week, so tasty. I'll definintely be doing that again, I learn something new from every challenge that I do.

      Delete
  6. You show that the same food served in different ways can be tasty. Just for thought I wonder what you would buy if you had to do the challenge again next week. What would be different to avoid food fatigue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be completely different if I were to follow this one on for a second week, just as you say so that I didn't get food fatigue. And of course I would start the week with a slice of bread, a jar of soup, some peaches, two thirds of a jar of marmalade and 3p ... an even bigger store cupboard already.

      Delete
  7. Well done! I think I’d have found that challenge very difficult.
    I agree, hot peaches taste very different! In fact I think fruit tastes better warmed up. If I make a fruit salad (sometimes a mixture of tinned fresh and frozen, I always pop it in the microwave before eating. Regards June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peach toasty ... and the crumble that followed the challenge were delicious. Hot peaches are most definitely better than cold ones. That's a good tip, to blast them in the microwave for a while, I'll be trying that for myself.

      Delete
  8. The hot cross bun was a very fitting reward for completing the challenge so admirably. Well done for doing this and thank you for letting us share the journey. I've enjoyed reading it all.
    Just to let you know that Norton has decided that you are a dangerous woman, Sue! For some strange reason your smaller life blog is OK, it's just this challenge one 🤔 You're in good company though as Vix is blocked as well. I can only read them on my phone. It's very strange...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into this the other day when someone mentioned that she was having trouble too. The settings on both blogs are identical, they are from the same email address and Google account, the only thing I can think of is because the Challenge blog was lying dormant for a couple of years anti-virus sites are treating it differently.

      Delete
  9. You're so clever to get so much variety form such a few ingredients. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good challenge for getting me to think of new ideas for basic foods for sure. Thank you. xx

      Delete
  10. Well done for completing the challenge. I too would never have thought of the peach toasty. I look forward to your round up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where the idea came from, but I'm glad I gave it a go ... and I'll definitely be making more peach toasties in the future.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.